Early Childhood Education lays the foundation for further schooling and provides the initial interface between home and school in a child’s life. Recognising parents as the first educators of their children, early childhood education seeks to build upon home learning. In establishing programs for young children, it is important to remember that Catholic schooling is intentionally directed to the holistic development of children from within, assisting them to become fully integrated human persons.
• Recognises, values and builds upon the child’s prior knowledge.
• Understands the importance of developing problem solving and thinking strategies through play.
• Listens to children and their families, respecting their values, cultures and experiences to provide opportunities which support learning.
• Closely observes, describes and records the children’s efforts and achievements by monitoring progress and planning experiences which build on their knowledge, understandings, skills, attitudes and values.
• Facilitates a challenging environment which motivates and enriches learning and gives the child the opportunity to experience:
– Independence and guidance.
– Free choice and direction.
– Incidental moments and planned activities.
– Child initiated and teacher navigated.
– Individual and group work.
– Free inquiry and explicit teaching.
The aims of our Early Childhood Education Program are to encourage children to:
o Develop a positive self-image.
o Love learning and value their individual learning styles.
o Be responsible for their learning.
o Respect their own knowledge, background and culture.
o Take risks, persist and be self-paced with their learning.
o Know, understand and use their personality, talents, and personal ways of being creative.
o Learn through problem based play activities by doing and being actively involved.
o Learn through adults and others who scaffold their endeavours.
o Respect, value and accept all people.
o Experience the joy in the mystery and wonder of the universe.
o Feel valued and safe.
© Infant Jesus School 2017
17 Smith St, Morley WA 6062
Tel: (08) 9276 1769 | Fax: (08) 9276 2998